Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My New Job

Well as mentioned in the previous post, I had a job interview over the weekend. Well I got the job! Im nervous because the asst manager is trying for a baby(I havent mentioned our issues or the fact that we are). Actually in the interview, the lady asked me if I was pregnant or trying to be. I told her it was impossible right now and she proceeded to say "well we try and time these things around here". I wont lie, I was taken very aback and wasnt really sure how to react. Definitely caught me off guard. So now Im really on edge about what IF we do get pregnant? Will I lose my job? Bleck! Idk, its so hard to judge.
I started yesterday and I love the job. Its alot to take in, even though Ive done this before. Each store has different standards, and rules, and the way they do things. And this store is WAY different than DB. Which is probably a great thing. lol

8 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! I would just take one step at a time and not worry about the IF stuff or having a baby affecting your job. They will get to know you and hopefully become sensitive about your issues. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you live? Because here it's pretty much illegal to say that to someone or treat them any differently because of pregnancy or even the possibility of pregnancy. It's not even legal for her to ask you that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for new job! Congrats! I wouldnt worry to much, you know they have to realize that sometimes you CANT plan things. just make sure to tell them sooner then later if it does happen this way they can prepare. Good luck with your first week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, she can't legally ask you that. I would definitely keep a record of that and anything else that gets said to you while you're working there in a journal with times and dates. In the event they do fire you when you get pregnant, you'll want a record of those things. It might or might not help, but it would be good for HR to at least be aware of it.

    I'm always amazed when people mention being able to "time" pregnancy. What an amazing concept...I can't even imagine.

    Aside from that: congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, that's a fairly presumptuous comment from the interviewer.

    Also...I'm not sure about the laws where you are, but that is an absolutely illegal question to ask here.

    I'm glad you got the job, though. :) I do hope things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck at the new job lady!! And don't worry about the baby stuff! She CANNOT fire you if something happens. Hopefully though, it was just a slip of the tongue and she turns out to be super understanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in HR I just cringed when I heard what she asked you. It is illegal for her to ask you that or even say something. What if you had said you guys were trying? She might have not hired you based on that alone which she and company would get in serious trouble for. Definitely keep your ear out just in case. If you guys do get pregnant, you are protected by federal laws so they cannot treat you differently if you are pregnant. I hope everything works out okay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck at the new job!
    & i would be completely taken back if I was asked the same question. I m pretty sure isn't alout to do so, as melissa above says.
    Anyway, if you do get pregnant hopefully it will not be a problem!

    ICLW #123

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...