Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Life changing epiphany

Today I was sitting at the table enjoying my KFC lunch. I got what I always get, the 2 piece meal with a side of mashed potatoes and corn. I was enjoying my corn(its one of my fav "veggies") when it hit me. I knew that I was allergic to corn pollen, but never took my thought past that.

Rewind a few days, I was talking to my MIL about how Im so sick all the time and we don't know why. She asked if I had been tested for food allergies, I told her I requested to be but the doc said that I didn't need them. Idiot doctor.

So as I was sitting here enjoying my yummy corn, I made the joke to my mom about how I probably shouldn't eat it because Im allergic to corn pollen. She then laughed and added that I probably shouldn't eat high fructose corn syrup either....

I sat there for a minute thinking about what she said, and then it just hit me. This is my allergy, this is why I am SO SICK. Over the summer we eliminated most processed foods and I had never felt better. Lately I have been falling back into feeling sick all the time. I never thought about the fact that I am allergic was contributing to my being sick all the time, but the timeline says it all. For the past 4 years I have been fighting being sick all the time. With no explanations. 4 years ago is when I moved to Nebraska: The Corn State...

I had already been planning to cut out alot of processed foods to lose weight, but now realizing what I am dealing with.. Im going to have to cut all corn products out. Which means Im about to have to transform into a susy homemaker. I will be making all of our foods from scratch. Im a good cook and all, but this is going to force me to put more thought into what we eat and in preparing the meals we need.

No more going out to fast food, and what not. This is going to force me into a lifestyle change. I wont be able to avoid the corn pollen til we are able to move, but we wont be able to move til Hubs graduates from Grad school, but rest assured this does mean more than likely we will be moving away from Nebraska.

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I found your blog from HP!

    I couldn't read that and not comment. My MIL has a life-threatening allergy to corn! She can't have any medications that are OTC because they ALL have corn in them, she has to make every single thing she eats, she can't get alcohol swabs before a shot or any shot really because alcohol is made from corn and the shot has corn ingredients in it! She can't even drink a water from McDonalds because they dust the cup with corn starch to keep them from sticking to each other.

    Be very careful! I hope yours doesn't get as bad as my MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I know, from my own dairy allergy, how difficult it is to eliminate foods. But I really hope that you can make the necessary changes. I'm sure you will a lot better and very quickly. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this because corn is in almost everything! But awesome that you've found a way to feel better! I'm a total believer in allergies effecting fertility. I've been off of gluten and dairy for 4 months and feel like a new person, still no baby but lots of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sucks. I'm glad you found out though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch the movie King Corn--you will be AMAZED at what corn is in and how much of it we eat without realizing it. Unfortunately, your diet will probably have to change more drastically than you realize...know what most cows and chickens are fed? Corn. Meat, dairy, breads, condiments, all of it.

    Hopefully you've discovered at least a part of your problem and this will help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to write because your epiphany reminded me of someone. I have a friend that was trying to get pregnant for like 3 years, well she went to a naturopath and they did some tests and found out she was allergic to bread. Well she stopped eating bread and was pregnant 2 months later. Maybe not eating corn may help you. :) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...